Posts Tagged ‘Mahendra Raghunath’
It´s that time of year again when the SA Blog Awards roll around. And I´ve chosen *you*, my precious readers, for the honour of nominating me.
I did come third in the Best South African Overseas Blog category in last year, and I´m looking to beat that. Admittedly, it was probably because I asked all my friends to nominate and then vote for me. But I see no reason why that strategy shouldn´t work again!
Here´s what you have to do:
1. Click on the orange widget on the right-hand side of my blog.
2. The url for Trinny in Dubai will be filled in for the most relevant categories. But you can add to others or delete from the ones I´ve chosen, as you feel is appropriate.
3. Here´s the catch: you have to nominate at least three different blogs, I suspect to discourage people from nominating only their friends. But don´t be discouraged. See below for my list of other SA blogs I recommend, and take a moment to check out and nominate a couple that pick your fancy*.
4. Enter your email address and the security code and click on “submit” – it´s that easy.
5. Just make sure you submit your nomination by March 14.
SA Blogs I recommend, in no particular order. (I´ve linked them to their approximate categories, for ease of reference.)
Best Overseas Blog
The Canadian Chronicles
Varsity friend Bean about adapting to life in Vancouver.
Journo friend SM on living in Bangalore.
The Great Call of China
School friend Tom on living in Beijing for a year.
Best Personal Blog
Obscurvitory friend Rustum Kozain does writerly stuff.
Ravings of the housebound
Cape Town friend Sue´s experience of living with, and beating (yay!) an AVM on her brain stem.
Journo friend Biobot shares what´s on his mind.
I won´t deny that all these people are my friends. But I will say that all my friends have to pass a strict writing-ability test before I upgrade them from the friendship probation period. The Trinny stamp of approval is only endorses genuine talent.
Of course, before I say goodnight, there´s always Mahendra´s Ties. Although it is now dormant (note: dormant, not extinct), it was updated last year, if sporadically, so technically you could still nominate it. That said, I think the authors are happy enough that their blog about the Raghunath´s sartorial vicissitudes cleaned up at the South African Mahendra´s Ties Blog Awards 2008. Perhaps we should leave the blog to rest on its laurels. Who knows, the Raghunath might even be encouraged to follow suit?
But back to the point: thank you for reading to the (almost) end of this post and now: get nominating, please pretty readers 😉
* Disclaimer: Since the mandate of the Blog Awards is to: “endeavour to bring South African bloggers to the forefront of peoples attention, both locally and internationally, increasing exposure for South Africa’s great bloggers; and in the end reach out and touch people who are outside the realm of blogging and have them discover what they are missing” I don´t see how I´m breaking any rules by asking friends to recognise my blog, and encouraging them to read a few other South African offerings. Hope the organisers don´t either!
Mim: The MyThai Guesthouse in Durban got back to me. It looks really nice, and is also a cooking school…
T: Cool beans. I think we should stay there.
Pim: Is that MyThai or Mahendra´s Ties?
Mim: Why are you laughing, T? Stop laughing! It isn´t funny and you´re just encouraging him…
T: I just laugh whenever anyone says “Mahendra”.
Recently got round to updating my blogroll on WordPress. Most of the old favourites are there, including Bean, Bec, Sue and, of course, Mahendra. Alas, Arselickocracy and Bangers and Mash have suffered an untimely demise. I laugh less each day because of their absence. In other news, Daniel in Vaduz is Daniel in Ljubljana for a semester. Check out his blog for insight into the street art of Slovenia, as well as some inspiring architecture.
I have a friend, “a man”, as it were, who is a synchronicity scout. And I thought of him this morning. Because, a week after I have started rejuvenating my blog, nominations open for the SA Blog Awards 2008.
Come on, nominate me, I know you want to! While you’re at it, why not also give a shout out to Mahendra’s Ties? Nominations close on 22 February, so don’t delay!